Back To Overview
RAIMSolverEmulateSingleFrequencyTrilateration
Posted on 21 Feb, 2014 by DomFuller
What is the best approach to emulating the position solution of a civilian hand held single frequency receiver using observations from a commercial grade dual frequency base station and RAIMsolver? To be clear, I would like a single frequency hand held receiver to calculate the same position as RAIMsolver using raw data from a collocated commercial base station.

I should probably:
1) Only use pseudo-ranges calculated from the coarse acquisition (C/A) signal.
2) Use observations from exactly the same set of satellites as the hand held receiver (no more, no less)
3) Use broadcast orbits (rather than sp3 ephemeris)

I’m not sure:
1) Is the trilateration method included in GPSTk the same as/similar to those used by hand held receivers?
2) Should I use the ionospheric parameters in the navigation file, an external empirical model, or no ionospheric correction at all?
3) Do hand held receivers apply first order meteorological/tropospheric corrections?
4) Pretty sure I can handle this part on my own, but I’ll need to force the positioning algorithm to use the same set of satellites as the hand held receiver. If the RINEX file contains no data for any one of the satellites, then throw an exception.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this sort of question...any comments and/or advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Add your comments to the Discussion

You might want to post it at the FOSS-GPS list: <http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=FOSS-GPS>
It's a bit more active than the wiki forum.
FelipeNievinski 26 Jun 2014 - 19:45

I agree with all of your points, except the met data, about which I don't think handheld receivers do anything. And yes, the RAIM algorithm is more common for aviation receivers, whereas SimplePRSolution would be as in your hiking gear. FelipeNievinski 26 Jun 2014 - 19:38

Is this the right place to post this question? DomFuller 26 Feb 2014 - 20:40

Now I'm thinking that I should be using SimplePRSolution rather than the RAIM algorithm...not really sure though DomFuller 21 Feb 2014 - 05:48

Topic revision: r4 - 27 Jun 2014, FelipeNievinski

This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding Foswiki? Send feedback